Friday Jun 28, 2019
Friday Jun 28, 2019
John Hohlt from The Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) shares on PHIT for a Queen how using Christ through sport to influence.
- Went into coach due to the positive influence of his coach
- We went to see the world transformed by Jesus through sport
- Coaches can be the greatest influencer in the sports world
- FCA wants to help complete the ministry
- Coach’s words have power
- We are called to be ambassadors for Christ, and this doesn’t change on the field
- Do you want to be a legend, or do you want to build a legacy?
To learn more about FCA Camps in specific locations, visit www.FCACamps.org and watch the 2019 FCA Camps video here.
View the media page for FCA here. For more information about the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, visit FCA’s web site at www.fca.org, its Facebook page at www.facebook.com/fcafans or its Twitter feed @fcanews.
Learning more about FCA:
Throughout more than six decades, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA, www.fca.org) has worked to bring coaches and athletes together through large events, exciting Camps and impactful Huddles. But the small, intimate groups that meet for Bible studies, devotions and prayer help athletes to truly lean on their brothers and sisters in Christ—and become closer to Him in the process.
FCA offers hundreds of resources, from sports-themed devotional Bibles to Bible reading plans that athletes can complete alone or with others. All are designed to help coaches and athletes further their walk with God.
“When coaches and athletes come together in the exciting setting of a game or match, they can go all out for Jesus on the field,” said FCA President and CEO Shane Williamson. “But when they quiet their hearts, get into God’s Word and fellowship with their teammates in Christ, that’s when real Christian growth happens.”
For example, on the YouVersion Bible reading app, FCA offers several reading plans, such as the 31-day RISE Devotional for Competitors, the 31-day Undefeated Devotional for Competitors, the 10-day True Competitor Sports Devotional, the seven-day Heart of a Coach Devotional and the 31-day Relentless Devotional for Competitors, among others. Additionally, those who want to delve further into the stories of each FCA Magazine can also follow along with five-day reading plans that supplement the interesting and uplifting magazine content.
Under FCA’s numerous resources, coaches and athletes can find free devotionals, Bible studies, videos and reading plans for individuals, small groups or entire teams. Full collections on topics such as criticism, dedication, righteousness, injuries, accountability, fear and more allow coaches, team leaders, and parents to choose the subject that best fits each situation. FCA also offers free ice-breakers, games, and skits that can be utilized to bring groups together and help athletes get to know one another—all while deepening their learning about the Bible and God’s love and grace.
Friday Jun 21, 2019
Friday Jun 21, 2019
Mindfulness has found its place in sports! Dr. Saltzman discusses mindfulness and how it can lead to improved sport performance overall, reduce stress and increase the enjoyment of sport!
- Saltzman defines mindfulness as paying attention to the here and now, with kindness and curiosity so we can choose our behavior. Mindfulness lets us tune in to our bodies and fine tune our athletic performance.
- What is going on in our body when we practice mindfulness? Mindfulness increases problem-solving and emotional regulation, learning and memory and cognitive flexibility as well as decreases activation in our amygdala (our flight or fight region of the brain). The brain has neuroplasty which means we can change the wiring of our brain, and we can change it to be more resilient and compassionate. Cool, huh?!
- Saltzman shares her most valuable tools for mindfulness; learning how to have your feelings without your feelings having you, learning how to respond instead of reacting and self-compassion.
- Mindfulness can be helpful for athletes but even more important, it can be helpful for coaches and parents even more! Dr. Saltzman shares some issues that are coming up with our young athletes and how it is impacting their health and happiness.
- Saltzman has an online course for athletes, coaches, and parents. Get signed up and use the discount!! September classes to come.
You Know She’s Legit:
Amy Saltzman M.D. is an athlete, mindfulness coach, holistic physician, and devoted student of transformation. She is the author of A Still Quiet Place for Athletes: Mindfulness Skills for Achieving Peak Performance and Finding Flow in Sport and in Life. In 2018, the book was voted Changing the Game Project’s book of the year for Athletes. Dr. Amy’s offerings allow any athlete or team to develop mental, emotional, and spiritual skills for finding flow; the exact same skills are being used by an ever increasing number of college, professional and Olympic athletes. She offers in-person and online mindfulness training, to individual athletes, coaches and teams.
To find out more about Dr. Saltzman’s work, her book and to sign up for training go to:
Dr. Saltzman has generously offered a 10% discount for her upcoming Fall training in September. You can sign up now and put 10%PHIT in the scholarship box to receive!
Friday Jun 14, 2019
Friday Jun 14, 2019
Valeria Weber Williamson of Your Shot of Yoga shares on PHIT for a Queen “ Why you have to give yourself permission to fail, but not permission to quit. “
- Yoga has been shown in research to complement care of mental illness such as trauma, depression, chronic pain or anxiety.
- Be involved in finding your own way
- The Why of yoga will vary as to why you are using it
- Yoga gives you the space to let everything go for a minute.
- Part of why we don’t find thing sustainable is we don’t build our network
- It needs to not suck, It needs to not be boring
- IF we don’t take care of basic things like self-care we won’t be able to show up.
Where can you find your shot of Yoga?
- Do a Shot of Yoga subscription box provides 10-minute “shots” of members-only digital content, private community access, and a box full of awesome yoga presents in your mailbox every month.
- You can expect 5 - 6 yoga and self-care items + organic, GMO-free treats! –
- Your Do a Shot of Yoga subscription includes access to a private FB community + in-depth and researched information from Valeria Weber Williamson, a yoga teacher, researcher, and writer, who answers questions personally and interacts regularly with subscribers in the FB community. WEB: https://shotofyoga.com/ -
So you know she Is Legit:
Valeria Weber Williamson is the Founder & “Shotcaller-in-Chief” of Do a Shot of Yoga subscription box. For women who want to improve their strength, flexibility, and mood while decreasing chronic pain and tension-filled relationships, Do a Shot of Yoga offers digital content, community, and a themed monthly box of yoga and self-care information, motivation, and treats. - A 500 CYT trained in the Iyengar tradition and hot lineage, Valeria teaches hot yoga and coaches people struggling with overwhelm in how to create a sustainable at-home yoga practice that is tailored to their unique needs. - Valeria is passionate about bagels (not just round bread with a hole), the perfect cup of chai, her amazing husband, and their 6 beautiful kids. She also prefers to binge watch hit shows after all the seasons have been released, so please, no spoilers.